Friday, December 20, 2019

Book Review: Bridge to Belle Island

The Bridge to Belle Island. Julie Klassen. 2019. 448 pages. Bethany House. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Benjamin Booker sat in the Old Bailey, pulse pounding. His most important case to date had finally been called to trial—his chance to prove himself to the firm’s partners. The courtroom was the usual raucous scene: noisy spectators and newsmen in the gallery, milling witnesses awaiting their turn, and wigged barristers goading one another like boxers in the ring.

The Bridge to Belle Island is a wonderful read! I will share my biases up front. I usually love Julie Klassen's novels. I have yet to be disappointed with her work. I also love, love, love, love, love the Regency genre. Whether it's historical romance or historical mystery set during the Regency--I have a tendency to get swept up, up, and away and just fall head over heels with a story.

Benjamin Booker is the HERO of this one. He is a law clerk for a law firm in London. When one of the founding partners in the firm (Mr. Norris) is found dead--MURDERED in his home--Benjamin Booker sets about to help solve the crime. His brother, Reuben, is in law enforcement--and is officially on the case. Booker is encouraged by Mr. Hardy, another partner, to play amateur detective. His sleuthing takes him to Belle Island to the home of Isabelle Wilder. Mr. Norris is--was--the trustee of Isabelle Wilder and her niece, Rose Lawrence. Both (young) ladies had reason to dislike Mr. Norris and his control over their lives/property. The murder occurred on the night of Miss Rose's engagement party...

Can Benjamin solve the murder? Is Isabelle Wilder innocent or guilty? Is she protecting someone else?

I loved this one. I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. I love mysteries. I wasn't necessarily expecting Klassen to give me a great mystery--I think of her more as a romance novelist. But I ended up LOVING every moment it. I loved that the main character was a guy. Again, something that I don't necessarily expect from a regency romance. It was a suspenseful read.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: