Tuesday, September 15, 2020

7. The One Year Chronological Bible (NLT)


The One Year Chronological Bible. (NLT) Tyndale. 2007. 1728 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

This is the second chronological Bible I've read in 2020. (Earlier in the year I read and reviewed the CSB Day by Day Bible.) I picked up this paperback Bible at a friends of the library sale in 2019 for $1. It was definitely worth a $1. I'd even say it was worth $3 or $4. 

It is the New Living Translation--the New New Living Translation, aka the updated New Living Translation. Readings are arranged into daily-sized portions and arranged chronologically. 

The New Living Translation is not my favorite or best. It is way, way, way better than say The Message. But it isn't really a Bible I would seek out and read for my main Bible, my daily Bible. I like translations that are a bit more formal. (Does that make sense?) That being said, it is refreshing to read the New Testament letters and not have to spend every second decoding meaning. 

I have about decided that maybe chronologically arranged Bibles aren't quite my thing. I don't mind reading chronologically if it can be done in whole book chunks. Or perhaps large-ish sections of text. But the choppity-chop-chop-chopping of books I found tedious. I also found it frustrating that it would start/stop books in an irritating fashion. 

I started this one on July 21, 2020 and finished on September 15, 2020. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: