Monday, September 14, 2020

71. His Accidental Amish Family


His Accidental Amish Family. (Unexpected Amish Blessings #3) Rachel J. Good. 2020. [November] 352 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Anna Flaud wheeled herself down the ramp and to the mailbox out front. The spring sunshine warmed her body but not her heart. Purple crocuses and yellow jonquils lined the walkway. In the flower beds, small green shoots fought for room beside spindly tendrils of onion grass. On days like this, Mamm would be tending her plants, but now weeds sprouted everywhere.

Premise/plot: Anna Flaud, our determined heroine, works hard toward her goal of learning to walk again. She's promised not to answer a certain marriage proposal until she can walk across the room and give him an answer. (His name is Gabe.) But. It's been years. She's working hard, no question. But will her dream of marriage ever come to pass?

After moving to live with her cousin and her family, she begins rehab at a new facility under the guidance of an Amish man, Levi King. Levi appreciates her determination and positive attitude. In fact, he's never met anyone quite like Anna. She is unforgettable and one of a kind. And perhaps just the kind of woman he needs in his life...

The novel is narrated by both Anna and Levi. Both are positive people who are working to make a difference. In addition to his work at the center, he teaches CPR and water safety classes. Anna, meanwhile, is helping out by taking in foster children. (This is something her aunt does as well.) These two seem made for each other...

My thoughts: Chances are you're thinking this book has a ridiculous title. I agree. I don't know what I'd call it instead--if I was the author or the publisher. But it seems a bit over the top--even for a romance title.

But despite the title, I ended up LOVE, LOVE, LOVING this one. It was probably one of the more unique Christian romances I've ever read, and definitely one of the most unique Amish romances I've read!

I loved that Anna isn't your traditional heroine. I don't know that I have ever ever ever read a romance novel where the main character is in a wheel chair. Anna's character was genuine--I loved her big, big heart. I loved reading about her foster experiences. And Levi was a sweetie!!! I adored him for Anna. These two had me cheering for the relationship from the start. 


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: