Sunday, October 11, 2020

84. Through the Year with the Pilgrim Fathers


Through the Year with the Pilgrim Fathers: 365 Daily Readings Inspired by the Journey of the Mayflower. Stephen Poxon. 2020. 384 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: What were you carrying, Pilgrims, Pilgrims? What did you carry beyond the sea? We carried the Book, we carried the Sword, A steadfast heart in the fear of the Lord, And a living faith in his plight and word That all men should be free.

Through the Year with the Pilgrim Fathers is a unique devotional book. Each devotional begins with a verse or two, then a couple of pages of a history lesson, and then a brief prayer that tries to build a bridge between the past and present. 

I read an advanced readers copy provided through netgalley. I mention this because it's possible that there are differences between what I read and what was actually published. (The book released in August 2020, I believe.) 

One thing that bothered me is that the entries do not necessarily present the history lessons in a chronological way. They'd be entries about Queen Elizabeth, entries about the time in Holland, entries about King James, entries about being on board the Mayflower, entries about the new world--all jumbled together, woven together. I think the entries definitely could have been arranged more logically. (But as I mentioned, I did read an ARC so this might have changed as it went through editing.)

I also felt the book had a bit of an agenda attached. Not quite so drastic, as Heavenly Father I thank You and praise You that I am not so narrow-minded and prone to hate as these Pilgrim Fathers. Lord, how they must have angered and displeased You by holding so fast to their doctrines. But. I definitely felt like the author's prayers were a bit condescending. 

One example is the December 23 entry that is very ANGRY that education wasn't encouraged or a priority for the women and children in the new world. And how UNFAIR and CRUEL it was that women had no say in the size of their families. How awful it was that women were tied to the HOME. This is the prayer after that entry:

Oh, Lord! Forgive us for those social and moral issues that your church has all too-often handled badly, and has, to make matters worse, attempted to justify with selected verses of Scripture. Forgive us, Lord, for misusing the Bible in order to mistreat others, and for doing so in your name. Teach us how to love you by loving others, I pray.

The truth is I don't hold to either extreme--one extreme being that the Pilgrim Fathers were practically perfect in every way, could never make mistakes, were always theologically right, always lived out the doctrines that they esteemed; the other extreme being that the Pilgrim Fathers were terribly misguided, often made mistakes, couldn't see clearly because of their bigotry and bias, were more strict than the Pharisees and equally displeasing to God. I personally don't hold that they were saints--as the world interprets the word, not as the Bible does--or villains. The truth is EVERY single "Pilgrim Father" was a human being. I don't see the Pilgrims as being super-special-extra-ordinary-saintly examples that we should idolize or imitate NOR do I see the Pilgrims as being super-lousy-horrible people that we should cancel. 

The history sections were history. No more, no less. I am not well versed enough in Pilgrim history to know how well researched and accurate these sections are. I know *some* of the entries were taken directly from primary sources or contemporary-ish sources from America's past. I don't think all the entries were. I do know that there are TONS of foot notes. 

I don't personally understand the combination of history and devotions. I don't. There's too little Bible to actually feed a spiritual appetite. Then again, it might not be all that different than devotional books that are 98% human stories and 2% scripture verses and prayers. So it is what it is. 

Quotes from the Prayers:
Lord, it is not difficult to see trouble brewing here! An apathetic church and a group of dissenters longing for something more. In your mercy, restore your Church where it is flagging, and where many are discouraged. Send the fire today!

Heavenly Father, human history is littered with accounts of people leaving their homes in order to seek a better life elsewhere: political exiles, refugees, and those seeking religious freedom. Bless those who migrate, Lord, especially those who travel in fear and poverty, and whose circumstances are desperate.

Lord, my prayers today reach out to those who are seeking to make their new home in a foreign country, and whose applications are delayed or obstructed by bureaucracy. Lord, for those whose lives are held in the balance by people who might not be sympathetic, or in any particular hurry to help, I ask your blessing. Soften the hearts of bureaucrats, I pray, as they deal with applications for citizenship or sanctuary.

Lord! This level of introspection and interference sounds pretty dreadful! Help me to find that happy balance of minding my own business while also taking an interest in the spiritual wellbeing of my fellow Christians. Help me to pray much more often that I pry! Bless me with the Christ-like proportion of concern and criticism.

Fanatics and zealots, Lord–not easy people to deal with! Movers and shakers, Lord–not always comfortable company! Thank you, though, for those who disturb the status quo, when it leads to progress and development within the church. Help those of us who like our comfort zones, to appreciate the worth of people who speak loudly and with passion.

This is shocking, Lord–the Church complicit in the exploitation and suffering of the poor. Sadly, Lord, honesty compels us to admit that this has all-too-often been the case across the centuries. We have failed you by our cowardice and silence, and a strange reluctance, sometimes, to speak up for the marginalized. Lord of the Church, forgive your people when we have acted in ways contrary to the laws of love. Send your Holy Spirit upon your Church afresh.

Oh, Lord! Help me, I pray, to be ever-willing to assimilate new ideas and concepts. Preserve me from any form of complacency, or even xenophobia, whereby my thoughts become stuck in a rut. Teach me that grace of never being defensive when unfamiliar concepts are aired. Grant me a teachable spirit.

This is so horribly disappointing, Lord–Pilgrims who made such a brave stand for righteousness, suddenly becoming thieves, and behaving in such an arrogant manner, as though their Christianity entitled them to plunder from the Indians. I don’t know how to pray today, Lord, in response to this excerpt. Maybe I will just ask that you forgive your people when we get things so badly wrong.

How this must grieve you, Heavenly Father–to witness the people you have created arguing, fighting, warring, and murdering. This must hurt you, yet it is the way it has always been, since the dawn of human history. Holy Spirit, speak peace into the hearts of those who harbour murderous intent today: gang leaders out for revenge, military and political personnel who think nothing of bloodshed in pursuit of their aims, and individuals who regard vengeance as the way forward. Restrain them.

My prayers today are for those of your people who are obliged to stand by and witness social and public behaviour that is offensive to the soul. Grant them your wisdom. Grant them your peace even in the midst of troubles. Grant them cleanliness of heart even in a polluted world.

Oh, Lord! Forgive us for those social and moral issues that your church has all too-often handled badly, and has, to make matters worse, attempted to justify with selected verses of Scripture. Forgive us, Lord, for misusing the Bible in order to mistreat others, and for doing so in your name. Teach us how to love you by loving others, I pray.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: