Monday, March 29, 2021

Second Impressions of Professor Horner's Bible Reading Plan


I wanted to update with my further thoughts on this system. It only took me a few weeks to realize I wanted to read more than ten chapters a day. I don't have a set number of chapters I read from each list. I do read more chapters from Old Testament lists (Pentateuch, History Books, Prophets). Sometimes I do read New Testament letters whole--Titus, etc. 

But mid-March I realized a couple things, I don't like the overall organization of the system. That is I disagree with where certain books of the Bible are placed. I don't need to read Acts twelve plus times a year. I don't. You probably don't either. It's not that I feel exactly the same way about Proverbs, but the list for Wisdom books *needs* Proverbs to be included or else you're being over-exposed to books like Song of Solomon and Ecclesiastes. 

So my rearranging of the lists is partly "inspired" by my own reasoning/logic and partly influenced by a post someone wrote on FaceBook. 




Before I switched over to the new Horner bookmarks, I wanted to document just how much had been read already. [ETA: Yes, I left out two books and didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me.]

So the new listing groups books this way:
  1. Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
  2. Joshua Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Esther
  3. Psalms
  4. Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
  5. Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, REVELATION
  6. Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Ezra, Nehemiah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi
  7. Matthew, Mark, Luke, Acts, John
  8. Romans and Hebrews
  9. 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians
  10. 1 and 2 Thessalonians, 1 and 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, James, 1 and 2 Peter, 1, 2, 3 John, and Jude
Essentially, I eliminated the separate listings for Acts and Proverbs. I divided the major prophets from the minor prophets. I moved Ezra and Nehemiah to be with the others writing after the exile. I kept Esther with the history books. I was tempted to move her closer to Daniel. But I think I'll try her where she's at first. In the New Testament, I chose to highlight ROMANS and HEBREWS over the book of Acts. Acts is joining the gospels. I moved Revelation to be with the other major prophecy books. 

Instead of typing up new bookmarks and trying to make something beautiful and/or functional. I wrote the new listings on shopping list paper. My paper is topped with pictures of strawberries. I like it. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Design Guy said...

Thanks for this post. This is a brilliant modification of the Horner plan. Grouping Revelation with the relevant OT prophets is a nice touch. I may use this as-is. I'm also toying with groupings that reduce the chapters per day, which might slow down things a bit, but keep the daily load manageable.

Johnson said...

I believe you left off 1&2 Kings.