Monday, September 26, 2011

Book Review: Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic

Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic. Arleta Richardson. 1980/2011. David C. Cook. 160 pages.

In June, I reviewed the first two books in the Grandma's Attic series: In Grandma's Attic and More Stories from Grandma's Attic. This fall, two more books in the series have been released: Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic. And Treasures from Grandma's Attic.

I have really enjoyed revisiting these books from my childhood years. As I mentioned before, Mabel and her family were just as dear to me as the Ingalls family.

The stories included in this one:

  • Face Cream from Godey's Lady Book
  • It Rhymes with Mop
  • High Society
  • The Dog Who Could Spell
  • The Wrinkled Stockings
  • Whenever I'm Afraid
  • Grandpa Hobbs
  • The Spelling Bee
  • The Prettiest House in the County
  • My Own Boss
  • The Harvest Home Festival
  • The Surprise Birthday Present
  • The Perfect Party
  • Windfalls

While the first two books felt very, very familiar to me--like old friends--I admit that the third one almost felt unfamiliar. I remembered a few of the stories, but not most of them! Which isn't good or bad, I suppose! I am a bit puzzled at my memory though. For there are stories that I remember--somewhat clearly--that I haven't found in any of the four books. I kept thinking, it'll be in the next one, it has to be in the next one. I seem to remember more stories about a quilt--with the granddaughter asking about each fabric. And the fabrics used weren't just the grandmother's but almost each member of the family was connected in some way. And I remember one story having to do with an apron with TONS of pockets. And I haven't found that one.

I do recommend this series.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: