Monday, September 26, 2011

Book Review: Treasures from Grandma's Attic

Treasures from Grandma's Attic. Arleta Richardson. 1984/2011. David C. Cook. 160 pages.

Treasures from Grandma's Attic is the fourth book in the series by Arleta Richardson. The first three are: In Grandma's AtticMore Stories from Grandma's Attic, and Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic. The first three books are shorts story collections, essentially. They are told within a storytelling framework, the stories are being told--passed on--between a grandmother and granddaughter. The fourth book, however, appears to be different. The framework is gone. Readers definitely learn more about Mabel's childhood years, but without the adult-reflection added in. The book reads more like a novel, a traditional historical novel for young readers.

The chapters:

Cousin Agatha
A New Friend
Christmas Spirit
The Perfect Paper
Wesley's Lesson
The Seamstress
The Autograph
The Farewell Party
Really Responsible
The Tangled Web
Gypsies!
The Expensive Bookcase
Monday's Child
The Fortune-Teller
Revenge

I enjoyed this one quite a bit! I didn't remember it being in a different format from the other three. But it has been *many, many* years since I last read them. I can't honestly say that I remember any of the stories from this one. But again, that isn't a bad thing at all! It is this reading that matters most. And I can tell you that I very much enjoyed the time I spent reading this one! It was such a quick read, a satisfying one too!


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: