Thursday, November 21, 2013

Giving Thanks #21: John 11


John 11 is one of my favorite chapters in John. I love, love, love the story of Lazarus. I have always loved the story of Lazarus. The full chapter is great, but, highlights include John 11:17-44. The best verses perhaps being John 11:25-26. How often I've clung to those verses. Have you clung to those verses too?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?
The verses that focus on Lazarus' resurrection: John 11:43-44

When he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out." The man who had died came out, his hands and feet bound with linen strips, and his face wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, "Unbind him, and let him go."

Here indeed is Jesus proving that "all things are possible with God." (Mark 10:27)



Some of my favorite quotes on Lazarus:
Lazarus is dead because some lessons can only be taught using a cadaver. (A Million Ways To Die, Rick James, 76)
What we share in common as believers, we also share with Lazarus: We were all raised from the dead. The resurrection of our own salvation was no less staggering--indeed more so--than the physical raising of Lazarus. (A Million Ways To Die, Rick James, 99)
© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: