Friday, November 1, 2013

Giving Thanks #1 God of All Comfort

I have read the book of 2 Corinthians several times the past few weeks, and, I don't think it's a coincidence that I've been drawn more and more to the music of Steven Curtis Chapman. 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 reads:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.  For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.  If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer.  Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.
I am thankful for the richness, the honesty of Steven Curtis Chapman's music. Through sharing his pain, his heartbreak, he has brilliantly drawn from Scripture, proving time and time again that God is THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT. I am thankful for verses like these:
Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints. (Psalm 116:15)
He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young. (Isaiah 40:11)
Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:55-56)
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this? (John 11:25-26)
In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. (John 14:2-3)
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” (Revelation 21:3-4)
Here are some of the songs that I treasure:

See You In A Little While from his newest album The Glorious Unfolding




Long Way Home from Re:Creation
"Faithful" from Beauty Will Rise
February 20th from Beauty Will Rise
Jesus Will Meet You There from Beauty to Rise
Our God Is In Control from Beauty Will Rise

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: