Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Book Review: Discovering The Power of Christ's Prayer Life

Discovering the Power of Christ's Prayer Life. Charles Spurgeon. Compiled and Edited by Lance Wubbels. 1995. Emerald Books. 204 pages. [Source: Bought]

This book is a collection of Charles Spurgeon's sermons on the topic of Christ's prayer life. I think it's a great compilation. Many, but not all, discuss John 17, one of my favorite, favorite chapters in the gospel of John. I think these messages are just as relevant today as they were when they were originally preached. I think there is a richness, a biblical richness, in many of Spurgeon's sermons. If you haven't taken the time to read him, you should. He is that good.

The twelve messages in this collection include:

The Ever-Living Priest
Before Daybreak with Christ
Jesus Interceding for Transgressors
All Night in Prayer
Our Lord's Prayer for His People's Sanctification
Our Lord's Prayer for His People's Unity
Our Lord's Prayer of Glory
Prayer in Gethsemane
Prayer for the Bowed Down
Jesus' Prayer for Peter
Jesus Declining the Legions
A Golden Prayer

I have linked to each sermon included in this one; these sermons were preached and published over many decades in the nineteenth century. Wubbels did not always stick with Spurgeon's original title.

As you might have gathered, many of these sermons are GREAT for reading during the weeks leading up to Easter. Though, of course, any time of year is great for reading about Jesus!

Instead of quoting my favorite quotes in this post, I will use these sermons in my weekly "Year with Spurgeon" posts in upcoming weeks. If I were to post all of the quotes I want to share from this whole book, the post would be incredibly long!

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: