Monday, March 14, 2011

An Idea


I have been considering a personal challenge, a personal bible-reading challenge, a personal read-a-thon. I have read in several places that the New Testament can be read within 24 hours. I've got the New Testament on audio in two different editions--one a little over 17 hours, one a little over 20 hours. (But I am  NOT planning on listening.) But that seems a little too much, so I was thinking of a "how-much-of-the-New-Testament-can-you-read-in-48-hours challenge". (I've not thought of a good name for it yet. And if it remains a personal challenge, if I can't persuade anyone to join me, it doesn't need a better name.) My question to you is this, is ANYONE interested in joining me? And if you are, would you be interested in doing this challenge before Easter? If this is something you'd seriously consider participating in, then let me know what times/what weekends work best for you. If there's enough interest, I'll see if I can make this happen.

The rules, if there were to be rules, would be something like this:

Any translation of the New Testament is fine to use.
You may switch translations throughout the 48 hours if you want.
You may read the books in ANY order. You don't have to read Matthew through Revelation.
You may reread books if you want to take some time to meditate on one of the books.
You may listen to the New Testament in audio form.
You may use online Bibles or e-Bibles.
You may blog about your progress if you'd like.
You do NOT have to blog about your progress though.
You can recruit friends and family to join you.
God's word is treasure enough, so there will be no prizes for participating/completing. But I would ask you to consider giving away a Bible or New Testament, or making a donation to a worthy cause like the American Bible Society, or the Wycliffe Bible Translators. (Mardel has a "Beautiful Everyday" Bible you can buy which they'll donate to a local pregnancy resource center.) I'm sure there are other ways as well to help spread the Word of God.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

3 comments:

Annette said...

I will think about it Becky. I am reading Psalms right now, and at Psalms 61 today, trying to read 10 a day. I just finished Romans for the 3rd time. I only have Jeremiah to read next, then the NT for the rest of the year.
I'll let you know!
You know I had a comment the other day that really motivated me more in reading the Bible and posting about it. She said I was spreading the Gospel. I love it!

Bellezza said...

I'm interested, Becky. Really, it doesn't matter which weekend you choose for me (I assume it will be a weekend :) except for March 26-27 and April 2-3 because I'll be flying to and from Florida. Family time will preclude Bible reading time.

Becky said...

Annette, I hope you can join me! I haven't set the date yet because I want to pick a date that works for all the participants.

Bellezza, Great! I'll be sure to pick another weekend. I am thinking of having it be a four-day-weekend type thing where people could choose to place their 48 hours in the week if that works best for them. But I'll definitely have weekend hours available too. I'm thinking more like the 48 Hour Reading Challenge MotherReader hosts.