Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spread the Word! I'm Hosting A Read-a-thon (of sorts)

If you're interested in reading the New Testament during Lent, I invite you to join me the week of April 11 through April 17th. At first, I thought of hosting a 48 hour read-a-thon. A how-much-of-the-New-Testament-can-you-read-in-48-hours challenge. (Not that we'd be competing with each other, but that would be the personal aspect of the challenge, to try to finish the New Testament.) But then I changed my mind. And I think it will be for the better, perhaps. It will still focus on reading the New Testament within a short period of time--a week, seven days. It will still celebrate the Word of God. And I think it will be challenging enough! Doable? Perhaps! But requiring commitment, definitely!

I am looking for people to join me. You don't have to be a blogger to join. You can invite your own family and friends to join too. But if you are a blogger, I ask you to consider blogging about this challenge, this event. Or tweeting about it, if twitter is your preferred way of spreading the word. Even if you're not planning on participating yourself, if you can help spread the word, I'd appreciate it!

If you think you might be interested in participating, leave a comment. You can change your mind if something comes up. And you can always join at the last minute. But I'd like to have some idea on how many will be joining me.

You may read from any translation of the Bible.
You may switch translations throughout the week, if you want.
You may use a text-only Bible, or a study Bible.
You may use an audio bible, an e-Bible, or an online Bible.
You may read the books in ANY order.
If you would like to follow an exact plan, you may. Here is one I found to do the New Testament in a week.
You may reread certain books if you would like to take some time to meditate on what you're reading.
If you finish reading the New Testament early, consider reading Psalm 119, Psalm 22, Psalms 113-118, Exodus 12, Isaiah 40-66.
No blog is required, but you may blog your progress if you like.

God's word is treasure enough, so there will be no prizes for participating/completing. But I would ask you to consider giving away a Bible or New Testament, or making a donation to a worthy cause like the American Bible Society, or the Wycliffe Bible Translators. (Mardel has a "Beautiful Everyday" Bible you can buy which they'll donate to a local pregnancy resource center.) I'm sure there are other ways as well to help spread the Word of God.


*The image of the New Testament, I found on this site.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

4 comments:

Annette said...

I'm in!

Bellezza said...

I'm in, too. Off to put it on my blog.

sally said...

I've put in on facebook and I'll blog about it next week. I'm not sure how much reading I'll get done. But I will give it a try.

Col (Col Reads) said...

I read about this on Bellezza's blog, and would be happy to join you. It's a crazy time of the semester for me, but I can certainly devote my reading time that week to the New Testament.