Saturday, March 26, 2011

Book Review: The World Jesus Knew



The World Jesus Knew. Anne Punton. 2003. Moody Publishers. 192 pages.


I found this to be a great read! I loved the design and layout. I loved the organization. I found it informative. I found it to be filled with information, perhaps this information won't dramatically change the way we live our day-to-day lives, but I do think it's information that can inform how we read Scripture, how we think about Jesus, how we think about the Bible. And that in and of itself might be reason enough to give this one a chance. 


From chapter eight:
We are all children of our own age and place and, unless we are taught differently, we will view the Bible from our own cultural perspective. Jesus, too, was thoroughly a child of his times, but how different they are from ours. How exciting and rewarding it is, therefore, to explore the common, daily life of the society in which he lived. (87)
Topics explored in this one:

  • The Home Jesus Entered
  • The Education Jesus Received
  • The Clothes Jesus Wore
  • The Language Jesus Spoke
  • The Countryside Jesus Crossed
  • Agricultural Methods Jesus Observed
  • Cultural Ways Jesus Followed
  • Religious Customs Jesus Kept
  • Festivals Jesus Celebrated
  • The Temple Jesus Loved
  • Prayers Jesus Prayed
  • The Synagogue Jesus Attended
  • The Scriptures Jesus Read
  • The Opposition Jesus Faced
  • Groups Jesus Knew

I would definitely recommend this one. I think it's a great resource for those interested in reading and studying the Bible. And I do think it's a GREAT resource for Sunday School teachers. 



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great resource, something our family would get a lot out of.