Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Where Do I Go From Here?


In my last planning post, I mentioned two Bible-reading goals. I wanted to finish the King James Version (had three books to go at the time) and the New American Standard Version (had five books to go at the time, three of them very long books: Psalms, Jeremiah and Ezekiel). Well, I've completed both!!! Today I finished Psalms in the NASB!!! I started reading the NASB Thinline Bible on March 21, 2011 and completed it today, June 22, 2011! I started reading the KJV Bible on February 27, 2011 and I finished it on June 1, 2011. *If* I did my math right, that's 94 days to read the NASB and 95 days to read the KJV. Not too bad!

So. Where do I go from here?

Should I try to see which books I'd need to read to finish the Bible the third time this year? That would be:

  • Ezekiel
  • Daniel
  • Hosea
  • Joel
  • Amos
  • Zechariah
  • Malachi

Should I try to finish the ESV next? I'd need to read:

  • Exodus 
  • Leviticus
  • Numbers
  • Deuteronomy
  • Joshua
  • Judges
  • Ruth
  • 1 Samuel
  • 2 Samuel
  • 1 Kings
  • 2 Kings
  • 1 Chronicles
  • 2 Chronicles
  • Ezra
  • Nehemiah
  • Esther
  • Job
  • Psalms
  • Proverbs
  • Ecclesiastes
  • Song of Songs
  • Isaiah
  • Ezekiel
  • Daniel
  • Hosea
  • Joel
  • Amos
  • Obadiah
  • Jonah
  • Micah
  • Nahum
  • Habakkuk
  • Zephaniah
  • Haggai
  • Zechariah
  • Malachi

Or I could work on the New English Bible, Revised Standard Bible, American Standard Bible, or Holman Christian Standard Bible.

Do you find starting over fun and exciting? Or do you get overwhelmed with choices? Me? Well, I tend to get out different Bibles and make stacks. I open them up--one at a time, of course--and "try" reading them to see how it feels. If it feels good-and-cozy-and-right. But you can only surround yourself with stacks for so long before getting overwhelmed and wanting someone to make your decision for you.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: