For anyone who loves history or theology, I recommend Ligonier's teaching series, A Survey of Church History. W. Robert Godrey is the teacher, and he's fabulous! The series has six parts. The third part covers a little over a hundred years. This period of history--the Reformation--may almost be the most familiar to the audience. (I think it may be Godfrey's own favorite period of church history!)
The messages are:
- Introduction to the Reformation
- Martin Luther's Early Life
- Martin Luther and the German Reformation
- Martin Luther and the Growing Protestant Movement
- Martin Luther and the Anabaptists
- From the German Reformation to Geneva
- The Theology of John Calvin
- The Catholic Reformation
- The Scottish Reformation
- The Dutch Reformation
- The Synod of Dort
I was watching this series on my own for most of parts one and two. But the closer I got to the Reformation, the more interested my Mom became. By the time this third series started, she was hooked!
History, politics, human-interest stories, theology--this series has it all. I was probably most familiar with Luther and Calvin. I really found the last three messages to be fascinating because the material was new to me.
© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible