Friday, August 31, 2018

August Check-In

What Bible(s) did I read from this month? I finished the Living Insights Study Bible.
Living Insights Study Bible. NIV. 1984. Charles R. Swindoll. 1996. Zondervan. 1606 pages. [Source: Traded]
and I began a new project:
NIV Rainbow Study Bible. 2015. Holman Bible Publishers. 1632 pages. [Source: Review copy]

How many books by J.C. Ryle did I read this month? I continued reading his Expository Thoughts on the Gospel of Matthew
Favorite quote(s) by J.C. Ryle:
  • Weak faith is less comfortable than strong faith. Weak faith will carry us to heaven with far less joy than full assurance. But weak faith gives an interest in Christ as surely as strong faith.
Am I keeping up with my Morning and Evening devotional by Charles Spurgeon? Yes.
Favorite quote(s) by Charles Spurgeon:
  • Do you dread sin? He has nailed it to His cross! Do you fear death? He has been the death of death! Are you afraid of hell? He has barred it against the entrance of any of His children; they shall never see the gulf of perdition!
How many books by R.C. Sproul did I read this month? 1
Knowing Scripture. R.C. Sproul. Foreword by J.I. Packer. 1977. IVP. 126 pages. [Source: Bought]

Favorite quote(s) by R.C. Sproul:
Countless times I have heard Christians say, "Why do I need to study doctrine or theology when all I need to know is Jesus?" My immediate reply is this: "Who is Jesus?" As soon as we begin to answer that question, we are involved in doctrine and theology. No Christian can avoid theology. Every Christian is a theologian. Perhaps not a theologian in the technical or professional sense, but a theologian nevertheless. The issue for Christians is not whether we are going to be theologians but whether we are going to be good theologians or bad ones. A good theologian is one who is instructed by God. (22)
Did I read any Puritans or Reformers this month: Yes. I finished Matthew Henry's commentary on Genesis. "Commentary on Genesis." From Matthew Henry's Commentary on The Whole Bible Complete and Unabridged in One Volume. Matthew Henry. Updated by Martin H. Manser. 1710 for the original. [Source: Bought]

Favorite quote(s):
  • Times of fear should become times of prayer; whatever frightens us should drive us to our knees and to our God.
Did I complete at least one book from the TBR Pile challenge? Which one? Yes. the Living Insights Bible.
Other Christian nonfiction books read this month:



Christian fiction books read this month:



How many "new" books did I read (published 2000-present)? I read two new books.
How many "old" books did I read (published before 2000)? I read eight old books.
Which book was my overall favorite?  The Sovereignty of God. Arthur W. Pink. 1917. 272 pages. [Source: Bought]

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: