Thursday, August 2, 2018

Book Review: Little Lips Shall Praise Thee

Little Lips Shall Praise Thee. Emily Hunter. 1986. Harvest House. 96 pages. [Source: Bought]

Blessings on thee, little lamb,
Where'er thy feet may take thee.
God in Heaven is watching thee,
And He will not forsake thee!
Blessings on thee, little lamb!
Be glad and never fear.
Your loving Keeper is the Lord,
And He is ever near!

Premise/plot: This children's book is written and illustrated by Emily Hunter. It is a book of Christian poetry to share with little ones.

My thoughts: Do I have thoughts? YES. Before each poem there is a verse shared. I like the verses. Hunter's selection of verses is solid--solid even when the following rhyme isn't quite as strong. Some of the verses: Psalm 90:2, Psalm 145:3, Psalm 115:16, Psalm 74:16, Genesis 1:21, Amos 4:13, Genesis 2:9, Genesis 1:11, Psalm 77:14, Matthew 10:30, Genesis 16:13, Psalm 4:8, 1 Peter 5:7, Micah 7:7, John 1:3, Job 10:12, Psalm 136:25, Psalm 100:4, Psalm 92:1, Psalm 23:1, Mark 10:14, 16,  1 John 4:7, Psalm 4:7, Psalm 144:15, Psalm 119:103, Ephesians 4:32, Song of Solomon 2:12, Galatians 5:13, Proverbs 14:23, Psalm 118:24, Jeremiah 31:3, Colossians 3:9, Isaiah 41:6, Mark 12:31, Luke 6:31, John 3:16, John 14:2, Psalm 63:3.

I enjoyed a few of the poems. I did not enjoy all of the poems. Poetry IS subjective. And in my opinion, some of the poems--rhymes--were quite bad. I will say this. I preferred the poems to the illustrations. Hunter is a better writer than she is an illustrator.

While I can easily and honestly say that I liked a few of the poems. I can't say that I enjoyed any of the illustrations! Sometimes in an older book the problem is that illustrations aren't timeless. That isn't the case here. I'm not sure there was ever a time when these illustrations were awesome.

It is interesting that one of the weaker poems features the strongest illustrations. I am referring to the poem featuring the bunny Jake who makes a cake.

One poem is disconcerting--even for 1986 standards. That poem is  "You Love All Children Everywhere."
Jesus loves the Eskimo
Who lives up north
In cold and snow.
And Indian children
Smiling sweet
With moccasins
Upon their feet.
And children who
Have slanted eyes--
The Orientals,
Small in size.
And all the Swedish
Children, too,
With golden hair
And eyes of blue.
He loves the Dutch
So clean and neat
With wooden shoes
Upon their feet.
He loves the Scottish
Lass and lad,
Who wear their skirts
Of Scottish plaid.
He loves all children
Dark or fair.
He loves all children
Everywhere!
Here is one poem that I enjoyed, "You Are Our Good Shepherd."
The Lord is my shepherd.
I am his little lamb.
His eye is always on me.
He knows just where I am.
He leads me by still waters.
By pleasant streams I rest.
He guides me in the right path.
The one He knows is best.
When wolves are all around me,
His rod and staff I see,
To keep me from all danger,
To guard and comfort me.
And though I walk through valleys
Where shadows dark may be,
I still will not be fearful,
For He is there with me. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: