Friday, August 24, 2018

New Bible Project

NIV Rainbow Study Bible. 2015. Holman Bible Publishers. 1632 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I don't always have a plan in place when I approach a new Bible project. But. This time I do. I am going to take the structure of the MESSAGE 100 and use the NIV Rainbow Study Bible. I have no interest in reading the Message translation cover to cover, but I did enjoy the structure of the 100 sequenced readings. I won't share the exact readings for each of the days. That would be a LOT of typing. But I will share the ordering of the books. 

It is an interesting arrangement. Some days there are a lot of chapters to read. But then you have odd days where you read just three chapters! (See Habakkuk!) 

  • Genesis, 4 readings
  • Job, 4 readings
  • Exodus, 3 readings
  • Leviticus, 2 readings
  • Numbers, 4 readings
  • Deuteronomy, 3 readings
  • Joshua, 2 readings
  • Ruth combines with 1 Samuel 1-10, 1 reading
  • 1 Samuel, 3 readings total
  • 2 Samuel, 3 readings
  • 1 Kings, 3 readings
  • 2 Kings, 2 readings
  • Jonah and Amos, 1 reading
  • Hosea, 1 reading
  • Micah, 1 reading
  • Isaiah, 7 readings
  • Nahum and Zephaniah, 1 reading
  • Habakkuk, 1 reading
  • Jeremiah, 6 readings
  • Lamentations and Obadiah, 1 reading
  • Ezekiel, 4 readings
  • Daniel, 1 reading
  • 1 Chronicles, 2 readings
  • 2 Chronicles, 2 readings
  • Ezra, 1 reading
  • Haggai, Zechariah, 1 reading
  • Esther, 1 reading
  • Nehemiah, 1 reading
  • Joel and Malachi, 1 reading
  • Proverbs, 3 readings
  • Ecclesiastes, 1 reading
  • Song of Songs, 1 reading
  • Psalms, 8 readings
  • Matthew, 3 readings
  • Mark, 2 readings
  • Luke, 3 readings (Luke 22-24 is combined with Acts 1-8)
  • Acts, 3 readings
  • James, Galatians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 reading
  • 1 Corinthians, 1 reading
  • 2 Corinthians, 1 reading
  • Romans, 1 reading
  • Colossians, Philemon, Ephesians, Philippians, 1 reading
  • 1 Timothy, Titus, 2 Timothy, 1 Peter, 1 reading
  • 2 Peter, Jude, Hebrews, 1 reading
  • John, 2 readings
  • 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Revelation 1-8, 1 reading
  • Revelation 8-22, 1 reading

I did write out the specific readings for each day in a composition book. The questions I've printed up to motivate study come from Matthew S. Harmon's Asking the Right Questions. I  can already tell you that I won't be answering ALL the questions for each day. I don't think Harmon envisioned his questions having to cover 10+ chapters of the Bible at a time. And I've only allotted one page per day! (The exception being that I gave myself two-to-three pages for some of the New Testament!) So I'll pick and choose what I answer. 

I would not be surprised if some days I do two readings. I'm like that. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: