Thursday, June 13, 2013

Book Review: In the Steps of the Master (1934)

In The Steps of the Master. H.V. Morton. 1934. 416 pages.

I did enjoy this one. The sections I enjoyed, I almost loved. However, there were plenty of sections that I didn't fully enjoy. Overall, I liked the way he captured Palestine in the early 1930s. I enjoyed reading his rambles about his daily journeys, his sharing of small details both present-day (1930s) and historical (all time periods). Readers get a chance to learn about three major religions: Christianity, Judaism,  and Islam. (And the diversity even in the 'Christian' sects or denominations is abundant.) I loved reading about Passover, for example. For those wanting to learn more about the geography of the region, it is quite interesting: Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Jericho, Galilee/Sea of Galilee, Jordan River, Dead Sea, etc.)

I appreciated the subject as well: Morton's interest in the New Testament, in the gospels, in the life of Christ.          

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: