Friday, January 25, 2019

Book Review: What Is Given From the Heart

What Is Given From the Heart. Patricia C. McKissack. Illustrated by April Harrison. 2019 [January]. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It was a rough few months for Mama and me. We were already poor, but we got poorer last April, when Daddy went to sleep on the front porch and never woke up. Mama cried and cried, 'cause Daddy didn't have a suit to be buried in.

Premise/plot: The Temple family has lost everything in a fire. The church community is coming together and asking everyone to give something, to give from the heart. James Otis is stumped, especially at first. What can he give of value? He doesn't have anything of value. But he's determined. He must find something to give. His Mama is sacrificing her best tablecloth to make an apron. Maybe James Otis can find something to sacrifice too? One thing he knows...the best gifts come from the heart.

My thoughts: I loved this one. It was SO good. I loved, loved, loved James Otis and his Mama. I did. I thought the solution was wonderful and sweet. I loved Sarah Temple's reaction to his gift. This book was just satisfying through and through.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: