Friday, February 22, 2019

Book Review: A Hilltop in Tuscany

A Hilltop in Tuscany. (A Garden in Paris #2) Stephanie Grace Whitson. 2006. Bethany House. 301 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: "You should see her, Jeff."

Premise/plot: A Hilltop in Tuscany is the sequel to Stephanie Grace Whitson's A Garden in Paris. This contemporary Christian romance novel has multiple narrators: Liz Davis, Mary or "Mimi" Davis, and Jeffrey Scott. Liz and Jeff are engaged to be married. Mimi is now living in Paris and settling down. She's not sure if she's in a relationship with her ex...or...perhaps falling madly, deeply in love with her ex's best friend. Liz is in bridezilla mode. Jeffrey is dealing with FAMILY DRAMA and growing more tired each day of Liz's selfishness and stubbornness.

Will there be a wedding?

My thoughts: I really loved, loved, loved the first novel, A Garden in Paris. I liked the sequel. I am glad with how the story turned out overall. But this one seemed much more focused on getting Jeffrey Scott and Liz Davis saved--converted--then on anything else. I don't have a problem with that for the most part. I think because the focus was so much more on Liz and less on Mary that it became wearisome to me at times. Not that Jeff was always 100% right in every single conversation--but more often than not Liz was getting on my nerves and being a drama queen. I hope that a born-again-Liz will be easier to deal with on a day-to-day basis.

I am glad I finished this one. But it wasn't quite as magical for me overall.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: