Friday, June 28, 2019

Book Review: More Than Words Can Say

More Than Words Can Say. (Patchwork Family #2) Karen Witemeyer. 2019. Bethany House. 368 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: "The council has denied your appeal, Miss Kemp." Mayor Longfellow delivered the blow with a finality that threatened to buckle Abigail's knees.

Premise/plot: Abigail ("Abby") Kemp has inherited her family's bakery shop--A Taste of Heaven. But   the bakery is now being threatened by the city council: she needs to sell her property or find a silent business partner, a MALE business parter by the end of the week. Abby rejects both options. Instead, she plans to find a HUSBAND by the end of the week.
Choosing a husband was much like choosing a good baguette. One looked for a strong outer shell, a tender interior, and most importantly, a tractability of dough to hold whatever shape the baker deemed appropriate. Abigail needed a good baguette by the end of the week. The crust could be a little stale. The crumb could be chewy and tough. Beggars couldn't be choosers, after all. But she refused to scrimp on malleable dough. Too much depended on the outcome. 
Her first choice for husband is "Bachelor #3" a newcomer to town, a regular for breakfast at A Taste of Heaven. His name? Zacharias Hamilton. (Readers may remember him as the older brother in More Than Meets The Eye.)

Zach isn't looking for a wife. And when Abby proposes completely out of the blue, his first reaction is to say YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING?!?!?! But. The more he thinks about Abby, her sticky buns, and her offer of a convenient marriage...the more he's tempted to say yes. But he has a few conditions...

Will these two fall madly in love with each other after saying I do?!

My thoughts: I loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, loved, crazy-loved this one. I thought Short Straw Bride would forever be my absolute favorite book by Witemeyer. (I'll have to reread that one again to see if it still holds its spot.) But I could easily see myself rereading this one frequently. It is a swoon-worthy book cover to cover. I loved Abby. I loved Zach. I loved them together. I loved the spiritual aspects of this one. I loved getting to know the other characters as well that live in Honey Grove, Texas. Speaking of which, I love her TEXAS setting.



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: