Monday, June 17, 2019

Book Review: A Song of Joy

A Song of Joy. Lauraine Snelling. 2019. Bethany House. 464 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Life in America certainly wasn't like Nilda had dreamed.

Premise/plot: A Song of Joy is the fourth book in Lauraine Snelling's Under Northern Skies series. Though one could certainly start the series at any point, you'll get more enjoyment and satisfaction if you read the series in order.

Though there are many, many characters in A Song of Joy, the main character is Nilda Carlson. She's still working for Mrs. Gertrude Schoenleber as her assistant and secretary. She hasn't forgotten the traumatic event(s) of previous books--nor should she have.

Jeffrey Schmitz is pursuing a relationship with Nilda at the insistence of his father, Heinrik. Nilda can see through Jeffrey's advances. He's a self-centered snob who thinks Nilda should be grateful if Jeffrey stoops to say hello to her. He only talks of himself, and he's dismissive of just about anything and everything Nilda has to say. He's not too observant, or he'd never have proposed at a public ball! He reminds me a bit of Disney's Gaston.

Fritz Larsson is a teacher and a musician. He's known Nilda for several books now. She's been taking piano lessons from him. She's always liked him. Perhaps she's always liked-liked him. But does he like-like her? Does he love her? Does he want to marry her?

This one isn't just a romance. It's also a novel about compassion and giving back. Nilda and her employer are hard at work on a new project that will help new immigrants that arrive in Blackduck.

My thoughts: I had my issues with the third book, I won't lie. But I thoroughly enjoyed this latest book in the series. I'm so glad that I've read it. I don't know why I assumed they'd just be three books in the series!!!

I love Lauraine Snelling's novels. It's always a treat to spend time with her well-developed characters.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: