Thursday, January 22, 2009

Book Review: The Heretic Queen


Moran, Michelle. 2008. The Heretic Queen. Crown Publishers. 381 pages.

I am sure that if I sat in a quiet place, away from the palace and the bustle of the court, I could remember scenes from my childhood much earlier than six years old.

Set during the Nineteenth Dynasty, The Heretic Queen is a wonderfully absorbing novel of love, ambition, greed, hope, and redemption. Our heroine is the young Nefertari, daughter of Mutnodjmet and General Nakhtmin. Her life had tragic beginnings, no doubt, her entire family being killed--some would even say murdered. She's sheltered by the current pharoah, true, but for how long? What is her place in this royal court, this royal family? Raised alongside Ramesses II, she has secretly been dreaming of marrying him. But unlike her ill-fated, too-ambitious aunt, Nefertiti, she's not dreaming of the crown and thrown. She's dreaming of the man. But there are great powers at work in this dysfunctional family and court who would do anything to prevent her from that match. (The High Priest of Amun, Rahotep, and Henuttawy, the high priestess of Isis and the pharoah's own sister.) Fortunately for Nefertari, there are people desiring her to win Ramesses' heart and claim the title of queen. (Woserit, the high priestess of Hathor and the pharoah's other sister; and Paser, a wise teacher and advisor).

I loved this book. It's rich in detail, fine in characterization, and magnificent in scope. I loved the love and romance between Ramesses and Nefertari. I did. I don't think you have to love romance to love the book. I think it will appeal to anyone who loves history and historical fiction.

If you're reading this between January 15, 2009 and January 23, 2009 then YOU SHOULD VISIT BECKY'S BOOK REVIEWS AND ENTER MY CONTEST.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard so many good things about this book! I think I am the only blogger left who hasn't read it.

Penny said...

Nope, I haven't read it either, although I will be soon, since it's for my A-Z Author list. It sounds like a great book!