Saturday, January 3, 2009

Faith 'n Fiction Saturday: Reading Plans, New Year


Amy's question this week:

What are your reading goals for the new year? Do you have plans to read through the Bible or complete any Bible studies? Do you hope to expand your reading horizons or reread some old favorites? Do you want to read more fiction or non-fiction? Do you want to increase the amount of Christian fiction you read? Do you have any goals for reading as it relates to your blog?


I have several reading goals for the new year. I do plan on reading the Bible more. I'd like to read it every day. And I know this is something that takes discipline--a willingness and commitment to start and grow a new habit. Good habits take time to form--bad habits seem to take no time at all. It takes thinking to start a good habit, bad habits are cheap and easy and always convenient.

As to which Bibles, right now I'm focusing on the Wycliffe New Testament. First, I love it. Second, it's for the Really Old Classics challenge. (And the Year of Dangerous Reading Challenge.) Next, I'd like to read the Tyndale New Testament. I'll also be working on--much slower--the ESV Study Bible.

I'm not involved in any "Bible studies" in particular. But I do teach an adult Sunday School class.

I hope to read more Christian stuff period--be it nonfiction--theology, christian living, biography--or fiction--romance, historical, contemporary. My goal is to read TWO books per week and make 100 books total for the year.

I have two other blogs--Becky's Book Reviews and Young Readers. So my struggle is constant. Which books get read then and reviewed now? Is it more important to read this or that? Just how many books can be read in a week? And just because I can read that many does it mean I have to read that many? Which books should have a priority over the others?

Last year, I think I probably only read a dozen books--maybe twenty--that were Christian. And so I'd like to make this a habit, a way of life, to be more balanced and focused.

For all of 2006 and 2007 and a good bit of 2008, I let blogging take over my life. I stopped reading my Bible because my reading time became solely focused on reading books that I could blog about. Every moment I had to spare to reading, went to books that I had to read for my blog. I wasn't happy with this. But I didn't know how to unbury myself, how to unchoose this folly.

For 2009, I want to make God the priority. And that means that the Bible can't be pushed aside. If it means reviewing one or two or even three books less a week, I have to make that sacrifice for myself. It means that other stuff will have to give before this does, it might mean less time watching TV, or less time browsing the internet. I don't know yet. But I know that I have to make a change, and that change means actively choosing each and every day what I do with my time.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Great post! You're so right about habits and I also want to spend more time in the bible this year. I understand what you mean about letting the blogging and books I "have" to read get in the way of my time in the bible.

Lynn Squire said...

AMEN! Sounds like you've got your priorities worked out!

Nise' said...

I deal with "Just how many books can be read in a week? And just because I can read that many does it mean I have to read that many?" as well. Most of last year, my goal was no reading or blogging until I had my quiet time. There were many days I did not reach this goal, but was more content when I did.

Amy said...

You are such a great writer and thinker. I love this post, well written, well put. I pray your feet stay on this path, Becky. Have a wonderful year.