Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Salon: Week In Review (January 18-24)

Wycliffe New Testament Reading--I read 2 Thessalonians and 1 Timothy. And here's the thing even though I just read the two books...which was far short of my goal...I still feel like these two were rushed. Too rushed. Like I was reading them just so I could check them off the list. Like I was reading them because I had to. Which isn't what I want. So I may choose to do a do-over and reread these books.

The Wycliffe New Testament was awesome for the gospels. Really. I felt engaged and excited. The letters are harder for me for some reason. I don't know if it's because I'm losing interest in the translation and it's time for a switch...or if it's because Paul is a more difficult writer to translate. While I just love Paul and his letters, some translations are just not Paul-friendly. Too clunky. Too confusing. The Wycliffe may be one such case.

ESV Study Bible Reading--I read Genesis 14 through Genesis 23. These are the chapters focusing on Abraham and Sarah. God's promise and covenant-making with Abraham. The birth of the promised-child, Isaac. The testing of Abraham's faith. True there is the doom-and-gloom of Sodom's destruction, but overall these are some of my favorite chapters of the Old Testament. Rich in detail and significance.

This past week I had three posts highlighting the Wycliffe translation--sharing favorite passages from the first three gospels, Matthew, Mark, and Luke. If you have a few minutes, I'd like to know your thoughts. Not specifically about the Wycliffe translation--though if you have them, I'd love to hear them. No, what I'd like to have some feedback on is if you liked the idea of having a semi-mostly-regular feature "Translation of the Week" where I highlight different Bible translations and share various passages. I know that I love the variety of trying on new translations and changing up the pace a bit in my reading. But if there is zero interest from readers, then it may be more semi than regular depending on my time.

Speaking of feedback, IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION YOU'D LIKE ME TO CONSIDER FOR THE "QUESTION OF THE WEEK" FEATURE HERE ON THE BLOG, I'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. YOU CAN ANSWER QUESTIONS THE DAY THEY'RE POSTED...which is Tuesday...OR WHENEVER. YOU CAN CATCH UP FROM WEEK ONE IF YOU LIKE. THERE'S NO RUSH OR DEADLINE.

No comments: